Friday 13 December 2013

Foodie Friday: Cashew Cheese

Before I chose to tread the waters of a vegan lifestyle, I was a vegetarian and a self-confessed lover of cheese.  I would eat the dairy laden low-fat variety, usually the “cottage” type on crackers as a snack or for breakfast. Since becoming vegan, and aware of the cruelty that takes place when extracting milk from dairy cows, I definitely don’t miss “cheese”, however I do miss the creamy texture and subtle flavor.  After nearly two years of being a vegan I have tried many “cheeses” starting of with the low-fat cheap processed stuff in the early days (gross) to the expensive cashew and almond varieties. My favourite has definitely got to be the classic cashew cheese; as I lead a relatively low fat primarily raw diet, I enjoy it on occasion and savour it when I do. I understand what it’s like forking out the big bucks $$ for the good quality stuff... So I’ve decided to share with you all my recipe, for a delicious, cheap and organic fermented probiotic cashew cheese, which will leave your taste buds going wild and wont leave your wallets half empty.

Creamy Probiotic Cashew Cheese (Good for the Gut)

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups of Raw, organic and unsalted cashews   
  • 1 tsp ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
  • 2 cups of Filtered water
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
  • 1 tsp of Dairy free probiotic

 

PREPARATION
  1. Place the cashews in a jar, filled with 1 cup of filtered water and leave overnight to soak (or a minimum of 3 hours if your in a rush)
  2. Drain the cashews and place them in a high-speed blender (I am blenderless at the moment, so I place mine in a litre jug and blend it with my stick blender)
  3. Add salt, probiotic, ACV and the remaining 1 cup of filtered water to the cashews and blend/process until smooth (no chunky or hard bits).
  4. Pour blended ingredients into the nut milk bag (you can use a really clean organic/natural dish cloth if you haven’t got one handy) and suspend over a bowl  (I tie up my nut milk bag with string before suspending)
  5. Allow Cashew Cheese to ferment from up to 12-24 hours
  6. Place your cheese in a bowl and refrigerate for a couple hours (this will stop further fermentation)

      
Easy as pie, you are done! This will make around 2 ½ cups; you should refrigerate it (I keep mine in a jar) and use it within a week. This cheese is perfect on raw crackers, on top of raw zucchini pasta marinara, dolloped or spread on raw pizzas, a healthy butter alternative (delicious on sprouted bread) and it makes a yummy dip for vegetable sticks.
It’s such a delicious, creamy and much healthier alternative to dairy cheese. It is filled with healthy fats and probiotic goodness.

SIDE NOTE: You can add nutritional yeast, chilli, garlic or any spices in step 3 before blending, depending if you want to make it more “cheesy” like or flavoursome. I prefer it plain. If you are running short of time, you can skip step 4 -6 (fermentation process) and nix the nut bag and add about half a cup less of water when blending and eat it as it is (However it wont be as tasty, or as good for the gut and optimal digestion)

I HOPE YOU ENOY!



(SERVING SUGGESTION) 

3 comments:

  1. I was a vegetarian for 5 years before recently becoming vegan and, I too, absolutely loved cheese. I've never heard of Cashew Cheese. I absolutely love this and your entire blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully understand where you are coming from, honestly cashew cheese is truly a life saver. Thank you for your kind words darling. Have a wonderful day xx

      Delete
  2. I Love It! Thank u for share it!

    ReplyDelete